On the following page, we have compiled the answers to the most frequently asked questions. If you have any further questions do not hesitate to contact us at


For a full list of documents, please see Application.

The closing dates for the online applications are:
• 15th May for citizens of non-European countries
• 15th July for citizens of the European Union

No, the application process is handled completely online. Simply attach your test result to the merged pdf file which you upload to the application portal.

In order to enrol, a proof of graduation from your Bachelor’s degree must be provided during the enrolment period. If you don’t have your final degree certificate yet, the following documents will suffice:
•    a provisional degree certificate.
•    a statement/final transcript from your university, explicitly stating that you have successfully completed all requirements for your bachelor programme.

If these documents are not already in English or German, a certified translation into one of these languages is required.
If you fail to present your documents during the enrolment, you will not be allowed to enrol.

If you have not finished your qualifying Bachelor’s (or comparable) degree yet, please apply with your current transcript of records and estimate the end of your study.

Our offer of admission is only valid for the academic year for which you applied. It is not possible to defer your admission to another academic year. If you wish to be considered for the next academic year, you will need to re-apply. We recommend to add your admission letter to your application documents, preferable as the first page.

For the application, APS certification is currently only required for students from China. However, students from India and Vietnam must also present the APS certificate in order to apply for a visa and enrol at the Ruhr-Universität Bochum.

If you made a mistake in your application, or you forgot to upload an important document please contact the CompEng Support Team via

All courses are taught in English. Hence, German language skills are not required to be admitted to the programme. However, some pre-knowledge of the German language will be very helpful in everyday life and it will considerably help you to socialise with other RUB students. We thus strongly recommend you to take German classes ideally before you come to Germany. Besides, Ruhr-Universität Bochum offers free German language courses for all levels each semester.

About the Programme

The regular period of study is two years (four semesters; three semesters tutorials and one semester master thesis).

No, currently there is no tuition fee at Ruhr-University Bochum. However, every student at RUB has to pay the social fee, which finances the Akademisches Förderungswerk (responsible for the dormitories, canteens etc.), the General Student Council and the semester ticket.

The social fee has to be paid every semester by every student at RUB. It finances the Akademisches Förderungswerk (responsible for the dormitories, canteens etc.), the General Student Council and the semester ticket.
As a student, you receive a discount on meals in the canteens and cafeterias with your student ID. With your semester ticket, you can travel for free on public transport throughout North Rhine-Westphalia. In addition, as a student you can get many discounts at various institutions (museums, theatres, zoos, rental bikes, etc.).

The winter semester starts on 1 October and ends on 31 March the following year. The summer semester starts at 1 April and end 30 September. The lecture period may vary slightly.

Accommodation, Visa and Financial Matters

You can find information on finding accommodation on the website of the RUB International Office.

Thanks to the RUB housing organization AKAFOE, we are usually able to offer all admitted candidates a room in a hall of residence. After admission, your personal tutor will send you more information about the offer.

The best way to find out which entry requirements apply to you is to visit the website of the German embassy/Consulate in your country of residence.

You can also find the most important information on the website of the RUB International Office.

There are scholarships for international students, which are awarded by the International Office of RUB. More information about financing your studies (scholarships, student loans, etc.) on the website of the RUB International Office.

The estimated costs of living per month amount to approx. 934,- Euro (including rent, health insurance and expenses for food, books, learning materials and excursions).
If you need a breakdown of costs, contact us at